Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I'm Scared

Last month I went to the cardiologist and one of the routine things we did was to check thee history on my defibrillator. I have an implantable cardioverter defiblrillator, or AICD, to give me a jumpstart incase my heart goes gonzo. It's something a lot of people who have congestive heart failure get as a prophylactic measure.

But, anyway, to get back to why I am scared. Last month, we checked the history of the AICD and discovered that there was a dramatic increase in cases of ventricular tachycardia (V-tach or VT). Well, my cardio doc was concerned enough that he wanted me back in a month to get a new echocardiogram (ECG), re-check the AICD, and talk to the electrophysiologist.

It is not comforting when a doctor tells you he isn't sure what is going on, or if there is a problem. Not comforting at all. Now, I have to get two separate catheterization procedures on my heart. Within the next week. Not that there's anything to worry about yet.

I would be able to find a way to make peace with the news that I was getting worse. I would do cartwheels if I was told I was getting better. But the doctors don't know.

And I'm scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment